Effective Care for High-Needs Patients I is a self-paced, online course that equips inpatient care managers and care management teams with the latest strategies, skills, and resources for improving care for patients with complex conditions or life circumstances that can negatively impact their health.
Patients within these special populations are at increased risk for poor health, have difficulty accessing quality healthcare, and account for a disproportionate share of healthcare spending. Hospital care managers play a crucial role in ensuring these vulnerable patients receive effective care that addresses their unique needs.
Case Management Training Made Easy – Take the Whole Course or Individual Modules
Developed in collaboration with the California Healthcare Foundation, this self-paced curriculum comprises eight modules:
- Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities
- Mental Disorders
- Poverty and Homelessness
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Domestic Abuse
- Inmate Populations and Forensic Health
- LGBTQ Care
This course is perfect for RN case managers, social work case managers and care coordinators working in acute care, skilled nursing, long-term care or clinic settings.
Get Your Complimentary eBook
“Patient Engagement & Patient Activation: Strategies for Supporting Self-Management Programs”
This eBook examines the evidence base surrounding patient engagement that leads to effective self-management, models that enhance patient activation, and more.
Each course module examines historical and societal contexts for each population; potential biases, myths, and misconceptions affecting a specific patient population; communication strategies, symptom management tools, and other approaches that case managers can utilize to address patient needs; and available resources across the continuum of care that can be part of a discharge plan.
Learners will master a wide range of learning objectives, including how to:
- Describe the rights and barriers to care for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities, techniques to enhance communication and care, and available community resources
- Identify various types of mental illness, common symptoms and effective interventions, biases and misconceptions patients with mental illness experience when accessing healthcare, and available community resources for people with mental illness and their caregivers
- Recognize the specialized health needs, risks, and concerns among people experiencing homelessness, and best practices in caring for them
- Describe common medical causes and symptoms of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, effective pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions, and key communication and behavior management techniques for patients experiencing memory loss, confusion, or disorientation
- Define types of brain injuries, the special and complex needs of individuals coping with brain injuries, and the necessary skills and best practices for supporting those with brain injuries
- Describe and explain the dynamics of domestic violence, characteristics of an abuser and a victim, and resources to support victims of domestic violence
- Understand health care coverage opportunities for incarcerated individuals under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the physical, mental health, and substance use needs of incarcerated populations upon reentry, and the basics of Critical Times Intervention (CTI) and Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Recognize key LGBTQ+ terminology, definitions and concepts, do’s and don’ts when working with the LGBTQ+ population, special considerations for discharge planning for LGBTQ+ patients, and available community resources
Care Excellence’s courses for hospital care managers give you exactly what you need, when you need it. Utilizing a state-of-the-art learning management system, the curriculum is interactive and engaging, utilizing case studies, pre- and post-tests, and other resources to maximize learning and retention.
Take the entire Effective Care for High-Needs Patients course or focus your training on any combination of the modules below to address specific patient populations.
Call us at 760-750-4006 to purchase multiple modules or if you need assistance designing a custom combination of solutions!
Contact Us About This Case Management Course
The Effective Care for High-Needs Patients I course is available online and can be purchased in its entirety or by individual modules. Please call us for more information.
|Is taught:||Completely online, via self-paced courses|
|Begins:||Online modules are available immediately upon registration|
|Costs:||$448 per course (see module description for individual pricing)|
|Requires:||Computing skills sufficient to complete graduate work, access to a computer with an Internet connection|
|Is ideal for:||New or experienced inpatient care managers, care coordinators, or discharge planners working in hospitals, skilled nursing centers, long-term care facilities, and more|
|Provides:||16 Continuing Education hours upon successful completion|
|Refund Policy:||Course is non-refundable once it has been accessed|